Monday, August 9, 2010

Page 5: Shapes

There it is, Page Number 5 in all it's glory.




With a title like, "Shapes", you would think- hey, that's easy.... at least that's what I thought.... and then I got into the process.... and wow, I learned a lot:

1. how to sew on snaps (I heard a rumor that there's some cool tool that will put on snaps.... must.get.tool. before my next attempt at using snaps as fasteners!) No, I bought the CHEAPO snaps from the dollar store-- the kind you have to sew on, and don't even have the hole that runs through the middle so that you can properly center the dang thing.... I guess you get what you pay for!! Consequently-- my snaps aren't exactly "centered"... but there's no way I am going back and redoing them. Not in this lifetime, or the next!

2. How to sew on buttons with machine - VERY cool by the way! So glad for that particular feature. After the snaps I was soooooo not hand sewing on any more notions (is that the right word? in scrapbooking they'd be called "embellishments").

3. How to sew a buttonhole. Very cool also. Love my machine for this!! I did a couple of "test" holes on random fabric scraps, and it seemed to work just like it was supposed to.... and I had no problems with the process.

4. I think I didn't necessarily LEARN this, but I sure did it... I had to hand sew the "shapes" together (each shape is made from 2 layers of felt.) Which was ok, BUT I would have MUCH rather sewn them on the machine. I tried, really I did. But it wasn't agreeing with me, and after picking out the stitching from the same shape 3 times I gave up, and just hand-sewed them. I have decided they have a lot of "character". :D


Just showing off the pocket here, not sure WHY it changed the picture orientation on me, it was fine the other way.... grrr. Oh well, it's just a simple pocket, a place to store the shapes!



And the picture above is what it looks like when they open the book to this page. The point is to open the pocket, and match the shapes.


Anyhow, I am glad that page is done. It was no where as near as fun to make as my last few have been. Oh well, guess that's how it goes! :)




Oh, and I got my inspiration for this page here

No comments:

Post a Comment