Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ready.... Sew! (The Cover)

So, the first things that are sewn in the project were the handles and closures for the book-- not as easy as it sounds. :) My material is fairly thick, and on top of that they have fleece adhered to their backsides... and that makes them down right fat when you have to fold them in 1/2 to sew!! So, this was a true test of my brand-new machine, my patience, and Wade's patience! :) As ypu can see in the picture, he's sewing one of the handles--- and is doing a splendid job! (if you look closely at the handles- pick out the 2 that have the straightest stitching... and they are bound to be the two he sewed!!)


The next thing that she suggests is to sew a pocket and then sew it on the outside of the cover... and I figured I would throw in one of the 58 decorative stitches that this machine has... I think it turned out pretty good!


Here's the pocket all sewed on- which was a trick to figure out for the first one, but I had my rocket scientist on hand to figure it out for me, so the second one went pretty smoothly! :)


Next came the handles and closure... if I thought the handles were thick to sew through... try sewing through the handles and the fusible fleece... but the machine did it without a hitch! Go new machine!! :) (The striped material is the inside of the cover)


Here's my completed cover (outside)-- had to stitch the two sides together, turn it, and try and figure out how to stitch up the hole I left to turn it... that was entertaining.. but maybe I learned how to do it... maybe.



Ignore the messy island above-- but I was just showing the inside/outside of the cover. All I have left is to figure out how to use "close" the book. I was thinking velcro... but ended up buying those overall-buckle things (don't know their name) and they seem to work, sorry -- no pictures yet!!


Next up... pages! :)












1 comment:

  1. Val, I LOVE it! They are going to flip when they see how adorable this is! Oh and yes, I can totally see why you made all of the animals, in Noah's Arc(who could choose between them?) they are all so adorable! I also loved the shapes, cars, zippers, and all of the cute amazing pages you made! Wow! Great work!

    ReplyDelete